The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders has enjoyed a five-year relationship with the Beyond Academics program at UNCG. During this time our department has provided students in the Beyond Academics program with a Social-Language class (CSD 219-04). Some students have also taken CSD 150 Communication Disabilities in Film. During the summers of 2012 and 2013 HorsePower Summer Camp has served as an internship opportunity for Beyond Academics students who are interested in animal husbandry, farm management, and the equine industry. Here is a link to the HorsePower video.
What does the UNCG Speech and Hearing Center offer Beyond Academic students?
- social language skill instruction in a variety of settings
- the opportunity to be in CSD classes with bachelor students in CSD
- summer internship opportunities
- individual and group instruction provided by skilled graduate students supervised by an ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist with expertise in the area
- reports informing students of progress toward achieving Beyond Academics curriculum goals in the areas of social language